Pet odors may remain if your previous tenant kept pets. It can be difficult to manage a smelly rental property, particularly if your new tenants are allergic to pet odors or don’t own pets. It can be challenging to get rid of pet smells from a rental property, especially if the tenant has been there for a long time or the pets have caused a lot of damage. Here are some professional advice to help you restore your property and get the pet odors out.
The Quick Science Behind Pet Odors
In rental homes where pets are permitted, pet odors are a frequent issue. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are produced when bacteria in pet urine and feces decompose, leading to foul odors and illness. Regularly clean carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces to get rid of pet odors, Enzymatic cleaners can also help. It’s also critical to regularly clean and set clear expectations for tenants in order to prevent pet odors.
Methods for Removing Pet Odors from Your Rental Property
It is critical to use pet-friendly cleaning products when cleaning various surfaces, including carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces, to protect both humans and animals. Furthermore helpful in avoiding pet odor problems is regular cleaning and maintenance.
- Enzymatic cleaners Since they contain enzymes that degrade the bacteria causing the odor, these cleaners are the most successful method for eliminating pet odors. Hard surfaces, carpets, and upholstery can all be cleaned with enzymatic cleaners. Pet feces and urine can also leave stains and discolorations that they can help remove. But compared to other cleaning supplies, they might be more costly.
- Baking soda and vinegar pet odors can be eliminated with the use of natural cleaning agents. Effective against odors, baking soda functions as a natural deodorizer. Carpets and upholstery should be dusted with baking soda, left to rest for several hours, and subsequently vacuumed. Use a spray bottle to combine vinegar and water to clean hard surfaces. Bacteria and viruses can be eliminated naturally with vinegar.
- Activated charcoal enables the elimination of pet odors as a natural odor absorber. To remove smells from the rental property, scatter a few bowls of activated charcoal around. It can, nevertheless, be messy and difficult to clean up.
- Air purifiers can aid in eliminating pet smells from the air. They function by removing various allergens, including pet dander. They do need frequent maintenance though, and they can be costly.
Keeping Your Rental Property Odor-Free
Rental properties must be kept odor-free by preventing pet odors from developing in the first place. Prevent pet odors from becoming a problem by performing routine maintenance and cleaning. The following advice can help avoid pet odors in the future:
- Set clear expectations for tenants with pets. To make sure that tenants with pets understand their responsibilities for maintaining the rental property clean and odor-free, it is imperative to set clear expectations for them. This may entail making them use odor-control products like pee pads or cleaning up after their dogs outside on a regular basis.
- Regular cleaning and maintenance: It is possible to stop pet odors from becoming an issue with routine cleaning and maintenance. As an example, to prevent the accumulation of pet odors, regularly clean carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces. Cleaning supplies that are safe for people and pets should be used.
- Air purifiers: The use of air purifiers can aid in the elimination of pet odors. Pet dander and additional allergens are filtered out for operation. Installing air purifiers in the rental property’s common areas can help stop pet odors from becoming an issue.
- Limit the number and size of animals: Restricting the quantity and size of pets in rental properties can aid in minimizing odors and damage. As a result, pet odors between tenants may be effectively eliminated.
Odors from pets can harm people’s health and lower the value of rental properties. Understanding pet odors and employing effective methods to eliminate them, such as enzymatic cleaners, baking soda and vinegar, activated charcoal, and air purifiers, can help landlords and property managers prevent these complications. It is also essential to prevent pet odors in rental units by limiting the number and size of animals, maintaining regular cleanliness and maintenance, and establishing clear expectations for tenants with pets. By adhering to these measures, rental properties can maintain an odor-free environment that enhances their appeal to prospective tenants.
To begin enjoying the efficiency and peace of mind that come with working with a property management company that serves Burbank and the surrounding area, get in touch with Real Property Management Tri-Cities right now. Contact us online or call us at 509-572-5440.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.